Quick Recipe: I [heart] Saffron Polenta on a bed of Spicy Tomato Salsa and Basil
From Chef Carla | Side Dishes | American
A little taste of Italy to spice up your night. Best served with red meats.
cal Calories 267kcal
High fat Total Fat 17g
High sat-fat Saturated Fat 10g
chol Cholesterol 46mg
sodium Sodium 321mg
carbs Total Carbohydrate 20g
Serving size 318g Calories from fat 153kcal Fiber 1g Protein 11g Sugar 16g
500 ml Milk
70 grs Corn Meal
1 teaspoon freshly grated Nutmeg
6– 7 threads Saffron
2 tablespoon Parmesan cheese
1 tablespoon Butter
3 tablespoons Stonewall Kitchen Spicy Tomato Salsa
3– 4 leaves Fresh Basil, shredded
- Leave Saffron threads in Milk overnight to infuse with flavour OR
- Heat milk slightly and infuse the threads for 20 mins.
- Once infused, the milk will be yellowish
- Combine Milk, Corn Meal, Salt, Pepper, Saffron and Nutmeg on medium high to give it a first boost of heat.
- Lower to medium low heat and simmer for about 20mins until the mixture is thick. (Stir constantly as the corn meal will sink and stick.
- Once it starts to bubble, taste. It should be soft (you shouldnt feel any corn – otherwise, cook a little longer)
- Remove from heat and add in butter and parmesan cheese. Mix until well blended.
- Poor in a shallow baking dish that has been covered with wax paper. Poor the polenta over the was paper and cover with overflowing paper
- Cover completely with wax paper. Place in fridge until cool and set (about 1 hour).
- Cut out with Heart shaped cookie cutters and fry up with a little butter at high heat to give it a bit of a golden crust.
- Serve with Spicy Tomato Salsa and some shredded fresh basil